Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The worst word and the worst prayer ever.


When I go to church,
And I say,
Our father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Does it make it okay?
When I swear on the bible,
Saying that I'd never hurt you.
But then I hurt you the very worst way.
If I say sorry,
Does it make it okay?
If I go to church every Sunday,
And pray every night.
Saying thank you for all I have,
And that I'm sorry for all my sins.
If I do the same things the next day,
Does it make it okay?
Does sorry really mean something?
Is saying sorry doing something?
Or is it just a word?
A word used to fix someone's behavior.
So, all I have to do is say one simple word,
And I have redeemed myself?
Is a memorized prayer doing something?
A bunch of words that have been imprinted into my mind.
Are they something that will forgive all of my sins?
Is a punishment going to make it all better?
Teach you a lesson?
Maybe, sorry is the worst word out there.
And just maybe, "Our Father who art in heaven" is the worst prayer out there.
Because words alone don't make it okay.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, even though I never thought about it. Just saying something doesn't make it true.

    P.S. Get ready for your care package!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your opinion, do share.